NEVER CONDONE VIOLENCE TOWARDS WOMEN
November 28, 2014
Taking The Pledge to never commit, condone or remain silent about violence towards women means a better life for you and those close to you. Part two of The Pledge.
When you tolerate or accept violence to women, it sends the message to others that violence is okay. By acting as if violence is acceptable, you help violence to continue by creating an environment that supports violence. When children see adults fail to act, they can think violence to women is acceptable.
Condoning violence against women happens in many ways:
- Making or laughing at sexist jokes
- Not challenging violence against women so people assume its normal
- Excusing or minimising violent behaviour
- Sharing degrading messages, photos, videos or links on sites like Facebook and Twitter
- Sending emails and text messages showing violence against women
- Telling others to ‘harden up’ or ‘be a man’ when they challenge violence to women
- Smiling, laughing or giving the thumbs up when men talk about being violent to women.
Violence against women is never okay, not condoning violence looks like:
- Sharing messages and videos online that challenges violence to women
- Speaking out against comments that put women down or treat them like property
- Treating women with respect
- Take action; make sure it is safe for you and others
- Let your kids know violence against women is not okay
Not condoning violence to women can make a change for many. Wear a White Ribbon to show you support men’s action to end violence to women